Art Critic, Art History Researcher, and Philosopher in New York, NY
Ekin Erkan is a Turkish philosopher, art critic, and art history researcher. Erkan's research in philosophy and his work in aesthetics are anchored in Kant & Hegel's theoretical philosophy. Erkan's area of concentration in art history is currently on revisionist histories of 20th century Abstract Expressionism and how the story of the State Department's co-optation of Abstract Expressionism relates to the utopian (viz. “California Ideology") self-conception of nascent internet art (exemplified by NetTime listservs of the late 1990s and early aughts) and its eventual co-optation by commodity capital (e.g., NFTs, the uniform flat aesthetics of ”corporate Memphis", and the machinations of the “big five” digital oligopolies).
Below are links to some of Erkan's recently published work:
- "Art and Posthistory: Conversations on the End of Aesthetics.", The British Journal of Aesthetics 2023. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesthj/ayac068
- "Kant’s Metaphysics of the Self: The Self as a “Clear” Representation.", Philosophia 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11406-022-00595-9
- "Charles Ray and the Uncanny at the Met.", White Hot Magazine June 2022.
- "Nellie Mae Rowe's Story of Freedom.", Hyperallergic December 22, 2022.
- "A Hero.", Cineaste Vol. XLVII, No. 3, 2022.
- "Life and Actuality: On Placing Possibility in Hegel's Modal Metaphysics.", Cosmos and History: The Journal of Natural and Social Philosophy 17.3, 2021, pp. 171-195.
- "Anja Jauernig, The World According to Kant: Appearances and Things in Themselves in Critical Idealism. Oxford/New York: Oxford University Press 2021, xii+380 pp.", Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie 65.4 vol. 103, no. 4, 2021, pp. 764-769. https://doi.org/10.1515/agph-2021-2023
- "Reason and Experience in Mendelssohn and Kant by Paul Guyer, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2020, viii + 361 pp., €41.85 ($50.00) (hbk), ISBN: 9780198850335 Ekin Erkan Pages 268-274", International Journal of Philosophical Studies 29.2 (2021), pp. 268-274
- "Étienne Balibar, On Universals: Constructing and Deconstructing Community", Philosophy Today 65.4 (2021), pp. 971-978.
- "Reason and Experience in Mendelssohn and Kant", International Journal of Philosophical Studies 29.2 (2021), pp. 268-274.
- "Barwich, A. S. (2020). Smellosophy: What the Nose Tells the Mind", Perception (2021), pp. 1-3.